A Message From the Fire Chief
Welcome to the Decatur Fire Department portion of our city website. Please take the opportunity to scan through our various pages to learn more about what we do and the many other features and faces of our organization.
The Decatur Fire Department is a full-service combination fire department that services the City of Decatur and surrounding extraterritorial jurisdiction of Decatur. Roughly 7,000 year-round residents reside in our community measuring approximately 7 square miles. With our various local amenities such as a beautiful downtown, several local parks, National Grasslands, multiple eateries and shops our population increases significantly daily.
To protect this populace, our department employs 13 full-time and 24 volunteer Fire/EMS personnel who offer services ranging from Basic Life Support, Fire Suppression, Fire Prevention, Fire Safety Education, and Rescue response. These men and women are highly trained, extremely motivated, and loyally focused on their core mission of serving the community. In my estimation, they are the finest fire and rescue service professionals in the state.
Here in the Decatur Fire Department, we take great pride in the many items that make us a leading community-based service organization. Items such as:
- An outstanding commitment to quality customer service;
- Our belief that we are an important part of our community;
- Our commitment to providing high quality training to our personnel;
- A consist focus on meeting the community’s emergency response needs in a successful cost-efficient manner;
- Our dedication to our overall objective of improving the quality of life and safety of the residents and visitors to the City of Decatur.
Our department has a long-standing history of providing quality service and programs to the community. We stand committed to expanding on the tradition in our future endeavors through collaborative community interaction and the enhanced delivery of customer care services.
In closing, we remain positioned to respond to your needs with professionalism, compassion, integrity, and respect.
Deroy Bennett, Chief of Department